.

.
Reviews

.

.
DIY

.

.
Delights

Search This Blog

The Great Gatsby Fantasy

Our balcony view faces the sea, a bridge and a little island called Tjuvholmen. There on the shore lays a tiny light house faces our direction, which reminds me of the Gatsby novel each time I look at it, especially after dark. The blinking of the light looks magical and it's glittery reflection on the dark water. 

I read The Great Gatsby book in summer 2012 and watched the movie about three years later. Regardless of how amazing the movie was,  I still have my own fantasy images from my imagination as I read the book back then. My favorite quotes are:




“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

“I hope she'll be a fool -- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.”

“Angry, and half in love with her, and tremendously sorry, I turned away.”

“And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.”

“Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.”

“You see I usually find myself among strangers because I drift here and there trying to forget the sad things that happened to me.”

“In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.”

“So we drove on toward death through the cooling twilight.”

“His heart beat faster and faster as Daisy’s white face came up to his own. He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips’ touch she blossomed like a flower and the incarnation was complete.”

“I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes, and felt it in others--young clerks in the dusk, wasting the most poignant moments of night and life.”

“No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.”

“If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him”
“Every one suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known.” 

“He looked at her the way all women want to be looked at by a man.” 

“There is no confusion like the confusion of a simple mind…” 

“...and for a moment I thought I loved her. But I am slow-thinking and full of interior rules that act as brakes on my desires”


“Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning-- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

“It takes two to make an accident.”

― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby


The Great Gatsby Event





post signature

No comments